Live theater takes the spotlight when One Night Stand Theater presents an evening about theater in “Life in the Theater” on Sunday, February 18, 7:00 p.m. at the Vintage Theater in Aurora. This
Live theater takes the spotlight when One Night Stand Theater presents an evening about theater in “Life in the Theater” on Sunday, February 18, 7:00 p.m. at the Vintage Theater in Aurora.
This one-night-only production features short plays and stories about the world of live theater, in front of the footlights and behind the scenes:
- Shakespeare coaches an enthusiastic “Macbeth” actor in “The Porter Scene” by Rebecca Gorman O’Neill.
- A playwright’s long-awaited staged reading goes horribly wrong in “The Reading” by Carrie Printz.
- Two friends build an unusual stage set with a sinister purpose in “The Cell” by Jordan R. Mencher.
- An unconventional dance student befriends a reluctant dance teacher in “The Last Waltz” by Julie Excell.
- Two cockroaches find redemption in the rubble of their demolished theater home in “Joe and Stew’s Theater of Brotherly Love and Financial Success” by Jacquelyn Reingold.
- A failing business transforms its health product into a theatrical spectacle in “Product Development” by Linda Berry.
- Two tramps witness the consequences of war in a Godot-inspired landscape in “De Minimus” by Bill Thompson.
- An intense young audience member inspires a seasoned theatergoer in “Watching Eyes” by J. Jackson.
“These short plays and stories provide us, a theater company, an opportunity to ‘look in the mirror’ and observe ourselves,” says James O’Leary, One Night Stand Theater’s artistic director. “The show will feature actors portraying actors, playwrights writing about play writing, and directors, backstage crew, and even audience members revealed as the dramatic and eccentric characters they sometimes are.”
One Night Stand Theater is a Denver-area theater company that has presented one-night-only evenings of theatrical staged readings over the past eight years, each with its own theme. Performances have featured folk tales, American history, old-time radio, Hollywood, and plays about war, romance, and the Bible.
“Life in the Theater” takes place on Sunday, February 18 at 7:00 p.m. at the Vintage Theatre, located at 1468 Dayton St., one half-block south of Colfax Avenue in Old Downtown Aurora. Tickets are $10. To make reservations, e-mail email@example.com or phone 303-725-4959. More information is available at www.onenightstandtheater.org and at the One Night Stand Theater Facebook page.
(Sunday) 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm